Today is a special day in America. Our students may have noticed the American flag flying at half-mast this morning. We honored September 11 with an assembly focused on community service. First responder spouses and family members were invited to serve as flag raisers. Our honored guests included:
- Battalion Chief David Schweihs of the Northbrook Fire Department
- Firefighter Paramedic Peter Goss of the Highland Park Fire Department
- Detective John Madden of the Chicago Police Department
- Sergeant Landon Girard of the Wilmette Police Department
- Officer Dustin Kauth of the Des Plaines Police Department
- Officer Dan Marsh of the Glenview Police Department
These guests are examples of people in our community who have dedicated their lives to helping others. Their service can inspire us all. They deserve our respect and gratitude.
The spirit of service and community exists at Willowbrook School and in District 30 all of the time. On September 11, we are reminded of our responsibility to help others in need. I am sure the recent natural disasters in Houston and Florida are on all of our minds.
Our assembly concluded with singing “My Country, ‘Tis of Thee” and a moment of silence. “Let Freedom Ring!”